Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Practicum: Status of My Projects

I compare my current work portfolio against the Margin Maturity Model (M3).

Having loosely defined the Margin Maturity Model (M3), I thought it would be a helpful exercise to place a few of my various projects and initiatives in the margin along that continuium. Here are the results:
  • Large NATO Project (5 - Inculcation): Over the past 6 months I have transitioned all my responsibilities to support personnel and now fulfill a project assurance function.
  • A NATO Service (3 - Ramp-up): I have reached out across the organization to expand the volume of our activity in this area, build a team, and systematically address new opportunties.
  • A NATO IT Market Segment (2 - Test): I've pulled together key internal/external players to address two opportunities in this segment.
  • An International Energy Market Segment (1 - Idea): I'm exploring two near-term opportunities while making internal/external connections and conducting research.
  • A European Environmental Market Segment (1 - Idea): I've conducted background research, made a few key connections, and tracked opportunities but have not moved to test our ability to compete in the market.

Overall, my portfolio is currently biased toward the early stages of the M3 - we could call that a "high margin" mix. With the most mature initiative moving out of the mix altogether, it is easy to see the vulnerability of this position. There is high risk and few resources in stages 1 and 2. My challenge is to rapidly mature one or two initiatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment